These were useful guides for group accommodation twenty-five years ago. Do they still ring a bell for you?
- 2/3rds full 2/3rds of the time is the typical occupancy of a profitable camp.
Expenses – labour – profit balance — the rule of thirds:
- 1/3rd operating expenses
- 1/3rd labour costs
- 1/3rd “profit” – this is the money from which you pay the bank and yourself (gross figure before tax and loans)
- If you’re not fully booked for the following year by June, you should be concerned.
- 80-90% return bookings, keeping in mind that some, you don’t want to come back, and some return every second year.
Meal costs — some rough estimates
- Provisions (food costs) is about 20% of overall campsite expenditure
- Labour cost is normally 45% of total meal cost.