At some point, camps and outdoor activity providers are going to be affected by gastroenteritis (commonly referred to as ‘gastro’). Whether a child arrives with the infection or contracts it sometime during your program, it is important to know how to manage the situation.
Each state has its own guidelines to assist with the management and control of Gastroenteritis.
STATE GUIDELINES FOR MANAGEMENT OF GASTRO
- ‘Guidelines for the public health management of gastroenteritis outbreaks due to norovirus or suspected viral agents in Australia’- download here (Source: Australian Government: Department of Health and Ageing).
- ‘A guide for the management and control of gastroenteritis outbreaks in aged care, special care, health care and residential care facilities’- download here (Source: VicHealth).
- ‘Norovirus Facts’- download here (Source: Tasmanian Government: Department of Health & Human Services)
- New South Wales-
- South Australia & Northern Territory–
- Northern Territory
- Please refer to the National guidelines above.
- Western Australia
- ‘Guidelines for the prevention and management of gastroenteritis outbreaks in residential care facilities’- download here (Source: Government of Western Australia: Department of Health).